Coaching for lawyers can help you achieve your legal career goals and increase the profitability of your law practice.
Over the past fifteen years, coaching has emerged as the single most effective tool available for achieving goals and making changes. Countless people have accomplished more in their lives with less effort by having a coach. The media has devoted much attention to coaching and the power of coaching to change lives.
Coaching for Lawyers is a collaborative partnership formed for the purpose of helping you reach your legal career and personal goals. In essence, we would be partners in achieving your success in: marketing your law practice; maximizing your legal career; increasing your productivity and helping you achieve a good work/life balance.
It works a lot like a sports coaching situation. Say you wanted to improve your golf score. A golf coach would look at your game and tell you objectively the good and the bad. He would make suggestions, help you brainstorm ideas to improve various problem areas, recommend a practice routine and expect you to follow it. The end result is that you improve your golf game. Coaching for lawyers works much the same way.
Like an athletic coach, I work with you to:
Clarify your career, personal and life objectives:
- What do you really want in your legal career?
- Should you use your legal skills outside of the law?
- What is most important to you in your personal life?
- What do you want to have accomplished in your life?
Set specific measurable goals:
- How many new clients?
- How many hours billed?
- How many trials do you want under your belt & by when?
Develop a plan to reach your goals:
- What is the first step? Then what?
How about this idea?
- A plan is not a plan unless it is written down.
- Every step must have a due date.
Overcome obstacles in your path:
- What is getting in your way?
- Let’s think our way around that.
- How about a different approach?
Help you stay on track to reach your goals:
- This is what you really want, let’s go for it.
- We need to stick to the plan.
- Keep focused on what you want.
As your coach, I bring to the partnership:
To be effectively coached, you need to bring to the partnership:
- A desire to get more out of your legal career and your personal life
- A commitment to the coaching relationship
- An openness to new ideas
- A willingness to do the agreed fieldwork between sessions
- The wisdom to see the value and power of collaborative effort
Coaching is not:
Therapy – emotional, mental and relationship problems should be treated by a professional therapist. Coaching is for moving healthy people forward.
Consulting – I don’t claim to have all of the answers. I do have knowledge, training and experience; however, coaching is about collaborative effort and working together over a period of time to accomplish objectives.
The most effective way to achieve your legal career potential and improve the quality of your personal life.
“Executive coaches are not for the meek. They’re for people who value unambiguous feedback. All coaches have one thing in common, it’s that they are ruthlessly results-oriented.” ~ FAST COMPANY Magazine
“The goal of coaching is the goal of good management: to make the most of an organization’s valuable resources.” ~ Harvard Business Review
“Coaching is an action-oriented partnership that, unlike psychotherapy which delves into patterns of the past, concentrates on where you are today and how you can reach your goals.” ~ Time
“Who, exactly, seeks out a coach?…Winners who want even more out of life.” ~ Chicago Tribune
“Today’s managers, professionals and entrepreneurs are hiring coaches to help them with time management, a change in career or balancing their work and personal lives.” ~ Fortune